{THE PILL BOX } spacer
spacer
spacer
powered by blogger

{Thursday}

 
yes, yes

I know Joe Strummer was a nice a lovely guy and all that but to suggest as some Bragg-heart did yesterday on Glasto TV that he belongs to a lineage that includes Dylan and Lennon and others is patently absurd yes, yes nice sunny rockin n rollin Mescalero Joe at nice sunny rockin n rollin Glasto oh it's OH SO NICE but but but I SO - I -

I WANT MY PISS FACTORY I WANT MY ORNETTE COLEMAN I WANT MY SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES I WANT MY EXPLODING PLASTIC INEVITABLE I WANT MY I WANT TO BE YOUR DOG I WANT TO BREATHE STILL SO I STILL DO in fact maybe MORE than I ever did before /

The idea that Strummer is a Dylan a Lennon a Marley - well, I know you miss him, and I know he was a nice guy to get pleasantly stoned with round a camp fire but really! C'MON! Where is the body of startling work, the longevity, the time defying leaps and twists and gravity defying about turns? (Patti Smith - maybe, at a push.) But a few good (if eminently dodgy, maybe even phony) Method class-clash anthems in 1977, bookended by the 101ers and The Mescalleros? Are you serious?

This is what is happeneing now, tho, which is different from Warholian 15 minute fame. This is the HOLLAND effect: everyone will be retrieved and embalmed. Everyone will ultimately be given an OBE or a place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame or get to jam on LATER WITH. Bring back Jobriath, Nazareth, Frankie Miller, KoKoMo, Joe Cocker, Stackridge,Johnny Dankworth, Chicken Shack, Sailor, Soul II Soul, Arthur Brown, B.A.D., The Frank and Walters, BRING IT ALL BACK, you name them, bring em back and say they are legends, give em their MOJO profile, their LATER WITH slot, their Glastonbury nostalgia billing, everything is groovy, everything is nice, everyone is good, nothing disappoints us, we love it all ...
... and, you know, in a good early morning mood, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. Some of it is nice and good and respect IS due in some instances for some achievments. But don't tell me Joe Strummer wrote BLONDE ON BLONDE when he really really REALLY didn't. He didn't even write Shot of Love, or Lay Lady Lay.

And he certainly didn't EVER get someone like Quinn The Eskimo into my head.

posted by Ian 7/10/2003 12:43:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
spacer