{THE PILL BOX } spacer
spacer
spacer
powered by blogger

{Wednesday}

 
MORE PROVOCATION

Very good Jon Stewart segment tonight, as it happens, on the Batiste case. (See 'The Usual Suspects' below.) He virtually just had to sit back and show the clips, from the press conference with (Attorney General) Alberto Gonzales . Me, nearly crying with laughter, I was.

But at the same time ... I mean. There is certainly potential for tragedy here, too. There is something awful, just awful and obscene and genuinely pathetic. There is a kind of (awful, obscene) Theatre going on here, certainly, which we certainly need to consider and return to.

(Which, by the way, is in no wise a criticism of Stewart. For who he is, and what he is trying to do, I think he is everything I would wish for, and possibly more. In this little space, he is not the Devil. )

((Although the thought did cross my mind, later on, during one of those smarmy flossy More4 i-dents, where all their presenters and actors and 'faces' have glintingly banal Q & A flung at them, and they smilingly quip back, you know the ones I mean, the thought did fleetingly occur, that quite conceivably, and by any reasonable measure, for all intents and purposes, for this week at any rate, the face that I see if you ask me, in media terms certainly, 'Who is the Devil?', the face that I see is Gordon Ramsey. No: really. ))

posted by Ian 6/28/2006 01:52:00 AM

Comments: Post a Comment
spacer